Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Welcome to the weird wonderful world of YOTC




Hi Peeps. Sook-Yin Lee here. Two more days till the YOTC premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. I'm excited and also terrified of showing my very personal little movie to the public. It must be kind of like child birth. Crazy hormones, no sleep, feeling c-r-aaaa-zy with anxiety over unleashing my baby into the wild. I'm an exhausted mother hen sitting on top of an egg that's about to break. Today i was talking about YOTC on CBC Radio 1 with Matt Galloway. I was telling him about the recurring idea in my movies, the difficult search for love and connection and how freakin' scary it is to let one's defenses down; and yet it is precisely that willingness to be vulnerable that can unlock the key to the possibility of real love. So, how can you get good at love and sex if you can't let anyone in? Afterward when I was again overwhelmed by the terror of anticipating the premiere of YOTC, I realized it's the exact same thing. A fear of being vulnerable. Well, there's no turning back now, I made the movie, now I have to share it. I wonder if I will need bricks?

ABOUT THE PHOTOS: Adam and I were wandering through the city the day before last when we came across a bow in his hair! Then I donned my superhero brick mask and flew faster than a fighter jet. And the...Year of the Carnivore poster by my pal Chester Brown.

PS. The premiere screening is SOLD OUT. But there is a second public screening on Saturday September 12th at 12:15PM at the Scotiabank Theatre in Toronto.

1 comment:

  1. We were at the premiere and we had a great time. You needn't have felt that terror, everyone in that room who bought a ticket and showed up was there because they know something about you and about your strange, sweet, and beautiful touch.

    Or they REALLY like meat and hoped to see a movie about eating a lot of it. :)

    ReplyDelete